This creamy, Sweet Potato Soup with Sausage and Kale is a hearty, gluten-free, dairy-free soup you’ll want to add to your soup rotation! Slow Cooker, Instant Pot or Stove Top directions!
Sweet Potato Soup with Sausage and Kale
This is like a healthy spin on a Zuppa Toscana and it’s so good! Blending a cup of the soup and using dairy-free cream makes this nourishing soup so creamy without any actual cream. I love making it in the slow cooker, but there are directions for the Instant Pot and stove too. Whichever way you cook it, it’s sure to be a hit! Some other slow cooker soups to try are this Lasagna Soup, Butternut Pear Soup, and Navy Bean Soup.
This recipe is from Danielle Walker’s new cookbook Healthy in a Hurry, which features gluten-free, grain-free, and dairy-free recipes. All her recipes are SOLID! She has everything from pasta dishes and sheet pan dinners to no-cook lunches and freezer-friendly meals. All her recipes looked so good, but I was most excited to try this sweet potato soup. Danielle says, “Nearly every time I cook this soup, I change how I make it—switching from a simple broth to a creamy version that uses my cashew-based heavy cream and cooked sweet potatoes to add body. Either way, it’s a delicious comfort soup for those brisk fall and winter days, and even my kids down their bowls!”
I don’t always love slow cooker recipes I test from books, but I wanted to see how this would turn out in my slow cooker – this turned out so good! Feel free to make it on the stove or Instant Pot if you wish, directions are provided for all.
Sweet Potato Soup Ingredients
- Sausage: Mild Italian chicken sausage with the casings removed.
- Onion and Garlic sauteed with the sausage for extra flavor.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: You only need 1/2 teaspoon.
- Seasoning and Herbs: Adobo seasoning, salt, dried thyme, black pepper, one rosemary sprig.
- Sweet Potatoes: Peel and cube one pound of sweet potatoes.
- Broth: I used chicken bone broth for more nutrition, but regular broth will work too.
- Heavy Cream: Here is the recipe for dairy-free cream. The cream’s optional, but I really like the soup with it. You can also use regular cream.
- Leafy Greens: Remove the stems and ribs from lacinato (also called Tuscan) kale or Swiss chard and tear the leaves.
How to Make Sweet Potato Soup
You can make this easy soup in the slow cooker, Instant Pot, or on the stove. Whichever method you choose, they all start with the same step.
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes until the onion softens.
- Slow Cooker: Transfer the sausage mixture, the other ingredients, and six cups of broth into the crockpot. Cover and cook on low for six hours or on high for three hours.
- Instant Pot: Put the sausage mixture, the other ingredients, and five cups of broth into the pressure cooker. Cook for 10 minutes and let the pressure release naturally.
- Stove: Simmer the soup with six cups of broth for an hour and a half.
- Blend: Discard the rosemary sprig. Scoop out a cup of the broth, onion, and sweet potatoes while avoiding the sausage, and pour it into a blender with the cream if using. Blend on high until smooth, and return the puree to the pot.
- For the slow cooker, add the kale and cook on high heat for 10 to 15 minutes. For the Instant Pot, after adding the kale, set the machine to sauté on high heat. Bring the soup to a boil, and cook for a minute or two until thickened. For the stove, put the kale in the pot and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
How to Freeze Creamy Soup
I usually don’t freeze soup with dairy, but since this recipe calls for dairy-free cream, which is optional, it’s OK to freeze it. Pour it into smaller glass containers and freeze for up to three months. Thaw the soup overnight in the fridge and reheat it on the stove or in the microwave.
- Sub butternut squash for the sweet potatoes.
- Swap Italian turkey sausage for chicken or use spicy Italian sausage if you prefer an extra kick.
- Substitute spinach for kale/Swiss chard.
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
- Turmeric Roasted Sweet Potato and Macadamia Soup
- Chicken and Sweet Potato Kale Soup
- Creamy Sausage and Potato Soup
- Lentil Soup with Butternut and Kale
- Kale and Potato Soup with Turkey Sausage
Your comments are helpful! If you’ve tried this healthy Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Soup with Sausage and Kale recipe or any other on Skinnytaste, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. And if you took a photo of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can reshare on my Stories!